Greetings from the Omnigraphic Blogopticon. On view are vile sticky things dragged from the attic, snarky commentary on the world at large, and all-encompassing ennui. All that and a weird rubbery smell. A horrible time will be had by all.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Three Minutes to Midnight


While we're snickering at nuclear annihilation, or just maybe some minor glowing in the dark, here's my June, 1950 copy of The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists. Despite its snazzy cover it's pretty dull going. No comics or anything. Not even a page of Science Goofs, you know, sort of like the humor pages in Reader's Digest.

It was also completely lacking in any sort of instruction on the care and manufacture of atomic devices, which doesn't advance my plans for World Domination one whit.

Atomic Science, my ass.

5 comments:

Sherri said...

Ya know, I actually watched a documentary about the Nuclear Clock and the whole group who did the clock and made that bulletin. I recall a few minutes spent discussing the graphic design effort that went into the clock and the cover design. It wasn't nearly as boring as it sounds, but it wasn't all THAT interesting.

However, with a narrator and some background music, most anything can be made a little less boring.

Scott said...

It should have something like "Goofus and Gallant" like in Highlights.

My word verification is "jethell" which sounds like a hillbilly name.

Obsidian Kitten said...

Ohhh...so those are clock hands. I thought they were knocking over the Washington Monument.

Actually a pretty cool graphic now that I get it, but knocking down big concrete things would be more fun.

Severina said...

No, that would have been the cover of Demolishing Monuments Quarterly. Somebody borrowed all of mine, otherwise I'd have scanned one.

Huh. My WV is "menge". Some sort of mutant mange, I suppose?

Obsidian Kitten said...

Or a mangy henge.