Greetings from the Omnigraphic Blogopticon. On view are vile sticky things dragged from the attic, snarky commentary on the world at large, and all-encompassing ennui. All that and a weird rubbery smell. A horrible time will be had by all.

Monday, February 22, 2010

She Just Won't Shut Up About the Damned Stockings

While I was searching around the apartment for images of stripy Victorian stockings I found a catalog with some early Edwardian black cotton lace jobbies and black & white cotton patterned ones.

rubs hands together all mad-scientist-like

These are early enough in the Edwardian era that stockings are still mostly knit in black, rather than the white stuff that came later on. They're all very fine-gauge lisle cotton, which would have a nice, hard finish, and the lace looks pretty intricate. Much too fine for hand-knitting, but I could probably muddle through something that has the same look. I'm really looking for a boot-lace stocking sort of like the one at the top left or the top right, but I really like the black & white striped No. 5213.

Maybe a rayon or silk-blend might hold up better than cotton. It at least wouldn't fade or shrink like cotton.


Here's a late-Victorian (1890s) cotton lisle boot-lace stocking I've already wasted everyone's time with a couple months ago.

wanders away

4 comments:

Viviana said...

I think model 5234 could be worked in a diamond lace pattern; and I've several stocking top designs from the 1880s that I think would be a nice substitute for the one in the picture.

I've got some laceweight red silk recycled from an ugly designer sweater. Might be fun to design something like those stockings to wear over my black tights. I think I'll get right on that. Okay, well, not right on it... I'll just add it to a list.

Lady Euphoria Deathwatch said...

Hi Severina,

Very nice choices that. Just the kind to bend ones mind more out of shape then it was before.

Makes me want to give one of them a try. But that will have to wait, as I have more pressing matters on my to do list.

No doubt, you will know when I start them, as I will be screaming expletives the entire time.

Hugs, Euphoria

the black purl said...

Oooh, lovely! I can't wait to how they turn out!

Scott said...

You need this kind of stuff:
Sock Machine Museum.