Greetings from the Omnigraphic Blogopticon. On view are vile sticky things dragged from the attic, snarky commentary on the world at large, and all-encompassing ennui. All that and a weird rubbery smell. A horrible time will be had by all.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Look, 1886 Stockings!

Here are those damnable stripy Victorian stockings I've been promising to photograph when I got done knitting them. I really want a pair in the original 1880s colors--black, crimson, deep blue, old gold, and pink but I haven't looked for any silk or rayon yarn recently.

I couldn't be bothered to haul out a garter belt, so for the photo they're staying up by themselves, sort of. But "opera length" is perfect for shorter skirts.

I ordered the boots online about five years ago because I wanted a pair of tall Victorian-style leather things like a pair I saw in the old 1940s fetish mag Bizarre. I can't wear them outside unless I know I've got a ride because they soles are suede and I don't want to wear them out.

That crummy sock I was knitting in Philly had to be frogged because the gauge came out too small and for some reason I didn't pack the little 6" ruler I keep in my knitting stuff. I had gotten too far into the pattern for any adjustment, so it miraculously transformed itself backinto a ball of yarn when I got back home and checked my gauge. Poof! Just like that!

While I was out of town I had intended to work on a stocking I was designing, but I threw the sock makings into my bag and completely forgot about the stocking and the needles slipped out of the yarn when I was rummaging around looking for my pajamas. I picked them back up about three days ago when I went into Code Red Total Sock Fail, so I'm now about 16" into a gray lace & cable thingy.

I would have been further along with the damned things, but I spent entirely too much of my day building Roman cities playing Caesar III.

I flushed a stink bug yesterday and there's another one flying around loose in the apartment that Grady hasn't been able to catch. That makes six of the nasty things so far this winter.

8 comments:

Lady Euphoria Deathwatch said...

Hi Severina,

Those are just yummy.

Hugs, Euphoria

Severina said...

Thanks Euphoria! Seems a shame to hide them under a long skirt. I should get a pair of shorter boots, then a bit of ankle would show when I went up stairs or got in & out of my carriage.

Hmmm. Should get myself a carriage.

Obsidian Kitten said...

Love the stripey Old Vic stockings. The boots are lovely, too.

A carriage or maybe a guy to pull you around in a pedicab?

Crypt Stitch said...

Tres chic! I should send you my measurements then? Those boots, those stockings and a short-front bustle skirt would be perfect!

Mouse said...

Those are some sexy stripey stockings! Did you do anything special (like one of those 'jogless joins') with the stripes when you knit them? I'm always confused about whether to carry yarn over rows or sew in a thousand ends after I'm done.

Severina said...

Oh yeah, I'll be knitting these to order. *choking laugh* But I do keep threatening to make a short-front bustle skirt.

The stripes are done by purling both yarns in the seam stitch at the back so you don't have all those nasty little ends to deal with. You were supposed to do that with the multicolored version but I can't imagine knitting together five different yarns even if they are lace-weight silk. There'd pretty much be a log up the back!

Helen said...

The stockings really are beautiful. I would love to knit one, but by the time I got to the end of the first one I would probably use the dpns to kill myself rather than cast on for sock #2. Great job!

Severina said...

It probably helps to have some sort of obsessive mental disorder regarding stockings.

For some reason I can't finish a pair of goddamned socks but I can whip up a pair of stockings in a couple of weeks. But that doesn't count all the endless pairs of stockings I've cast on and frogged before I got past the first three inches.